Preparing for the overhaul...

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I Seem To Be...

I seem to be collecting quite a bit of furniture for a house I currently don't possess: a mid-1800's American farmhouse.  This last Sunday, my long-suffering husband and I visited the Handcrafters of Miniatures show in Dedham.  It was really fabulous.  These are smaller shows (there's one in March and one in November), but entirely worth the drive.  Indeed, some of my favorite artisans, including Bubba's Mini Country Cupboards and Marquis Miniatures make the trek.  Indeed, Barbara ("Bubba" herself) has been so kind as to supply me with several pieces for my as-yet nonexistent house.  Marquis Miniatures is a newer favorite, but Jill, the principal artisan behind the magic, does some truly fabulous work.

Like Barbara's, her work is largely geared toward the country house.

Perhaps this is telling me something.

I'd like to show you some of my pieces in situ, but, so far, there's no situs.  I've yet to find a farmhouse kit I really like.  Now, I'm certainly not opposed to designing my own, but, logistically, it's a huge problem to get the requisite pieces cut out.  Nobody does custom fabrication around here, on any scale.  So I'm probably looking for a kit-bash.

It's sort of a departure from my usual, but hey, it's nice to have a new project looming on the horizon...

My biggest issues with what's available are...

  1. Authenticity.  I'm looking for the kind of long narrow farmhouse that still covers northern New England.  Most so-called "farmhouses" are Victorian "farmhouse style" houses.
  2. Scale.  They're too square, too squat, and the ceilings are too low for the style of house.  Room height and size of room go hand in hand; 7' ceilings are really only appropriate in an early Colonial house.  Not to mention, a real farmer's porch is more than 3' deep.
  3. Layout.  Farmhouses didn't have small kitchens.  They did have entryways.  They did usually have sitting rooms, which doubled as work rooms, as well as formal front parlors for guests.
If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

5 comments:

Wendie-kins said...

I had a nightmare of a time finding a house that fitted all my requirements too, and ended up out of desperation, opting for a do it myself variety! I got my pieces cut to size at B&Q and then tinkered with the smaller cuts i.e. doors /windows myself. It's hardwork working out exact dimensions beforehand, but at least you will be totally satisfied that you have the home YOU want in the end. Sorry if thats not helped much in your kitbashing search x

Wendie-kins said...

Edit / addition... B & Q is a national DIY store here in the UK, my apologies for presuming you were in this country too :o(

C.J. said...

@ Wendy, I'm not, but most of my family is! :-)

Daydreamer said...

It sounds like what you are looking for is a lot like my Lovely Old Dollhouse.... not a kit, but made by my Grandpa many years ago! It is large compared to most kits, but the proportions are what make it SO Lovely!
I know that Home Depot will saw plywood to specific dimensions as long as it is just straight cuts.... that way you can get the big cuts taken care of.... and as Caroline says.... then the fiddly cutting is up to you! I have a small Makita drill for making the holes and a hand held jig saw for the cutting.... come see my Castle on my blog! I've done all the cutting myself!

Daydreamer said...

Um.. I meant as Wendy Says.... sorry about that .... !!!:)